Fonts Fonts Everywhere


Close up image of a typewriter
Helvetica is the sweatpants of typefaces.  - John Boardley, typography whiz and fellow blogger

I've always been a content gal.

Get the words just right, and they'll speak for themselves. If the content needs a little extra oomph,  someone else can deal with that.

It's rare for me to deviate from whatever the default font happens to be: Times, Arial, Helvetica 

I know some of you are cringing right now. 

But through the process of creating a business card and logotype these last few months, my thoughts have been consumed with fonts.

There are millions of options out there.  And fonts have meaning.  They silently convey personality, even attention to detail.

Don't believe me?  Let's go to the movies...

Maybe you'd like to see:


Passions and fortunes come and go, but frankly my dear... a few party favours make everything bright and gay!

Or how about:


The film that finally explains why men and women can't be friends. I'll have what she's having...




Or maybe:


A  bell-polishing caretaker enjoys the grand solitude of a glamorous Colarado hotel. Well I say, here's Johnny!


Obviously, I'm embellishing for effect.  Unless you've got a killer Halloween gig, a professional logotype will usually be much more subtle. But the fact remains, the font we choose will communicate on our behalf, even before our client has a chance to read the words.

So from one novice to another, a few tips on selecting the right font:
  1. Love it: If you inwardly cringe at the sight of your typeface, that will come through when you share it.

  2. Get fresh: If your font evokes thoughts of The Gap, skip it.  You want clients to think only of you. Pick again.

  3. Be clear: Some fonts have legibility issues. Many websites allow you to preview your own content in a font before downloading. Do that!

  4. Go slow: Font surfing can be like testing fragrances. After a while, they all start to look the same. When your eyes start crossing, take a break.

  5. Ask for input: Bring in your trusted peeps and ask for honest advice. Does the font suit your style and objectives?  If not, talk it out.
As for me, my own card is almost ready, and I can't wait to unveil it. Stay tuned!



Photo courtesy of KoalaParkLaundromat @ Pixabay
Cinematic fonts used with permission (order of appearance):    
Bumbazoid by Boba Fonts   *  Double Feature by David Shetterly   *   Raconteur NF by Nick's Fonts
 


If you like my blog, I bet your friends will too.  Thanks for sharing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shannon Goes to Camp

Minding My Own Business

Technical Lesson #1: Choosing a Blog Platform