On Humility and Gratitude


Hands opening to reveal a pink blossom.
Without humility there can be no humanity.
 -John Buchan, Canada's 15th Governor General


I had coffee with a friend this summer, and we got talking about confidence.

Specifically how much of it I'll need to get my business off the ground. I've touched on this topic before: it's the difference between maybe I can help?  and I can help.

I agreed with her.

I continue to monitor my personal presentation in terms of confidence. I'm deliberately pushing myself to talk more about my blog and ask for help reaching a broader audience (yes please: share my blog!).  I'm also learning from missed opportunities.

But there's not much more to that story.

We all know about the connection between confidence and success right?  That territory's already been charted. 
 
What I've been reflecting on more since that conversation, is the role of humility in success. 

Unlike confidence, humility is a trait that sometimes gets overlooked. The fear, I think, is that humility shows weakness and vulnerability.

But confidence and humility are not actually mutually exclusive. 

Confidence tells us:
   -  I have the solution.
   -  I can go further, higher, faster. (cue the Daft Punk)
   -  My approach is correct.

Business owners need confidence in spades. It's essential to leading our clients to the best outcome, promoting our services to others and setting rates that respect our time and expertise.

Humility has a much more subtle character, and it sometimes gets a little squirmy in the spotlight, which makes it harder to examine.

Humility reminds us:
  -  There's always more to know.
  -  Another's experience is as valid as mine.
  -  To deliver excellence, I rely on others.

If confidence is the gas pedal that opens up horsepower in our entrepreneurial vehicle, humility is the brake. Humility provides a check to unbridled speed.  Hitting the gas is fun and makes us feel powerful, but humility reminds us of the danger involved; gives us control on the sharp turns. We definitely want functional gas and brake pedals on any road trip.

Humility also grants us access to a very specific group of clients - the reluctant, the vulnerable, the tentative - those who need more than gusto to convince them of the value of our service.

In other words, humility helps build authenticity, empathy and trust.

* * *
 Humility and gratitude go hand in hand.  As we celebrate Thanksgiving in Canada this weekend, I offer my humble and sincere thanks to all of you who:
  • read, share and provide feedback on my blog
  • take care of cooking and other home maintenance while I work on my blog
  • seek out my writing services and refer me to friends
  • share your gifts and expertise on a multitude of topics
  • are generally inspired to see things differently. 
Together, we are creating the world we want to live in.   🍁

Photo courtesy of Pixabay on Pexels.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shannon Goes to Camp

Minding My Own Business

Technical Lesson #1: Choosing a Blog Platform